Have you ever thought about going back to school? Would you go back if there were beer?
If your answer is yes, the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park has your number. On Saturday, Oct. 7, the celebrated cooking academy will host its second annual “Brew U” event.
Brew U is more than just a beer festival (not that there would be anything wrong with that). Attendees will have an opportunity to tour the school’s Brewery and sample New York’s top brews, along with paired dishes prepared by CIA chefs. Cider, too. Presentations and demos by the CIA and visiting experts in the beer brewing industry will be featured throughout the day, along with live music.
Among the breweries that will participate are:
- Brooklyn Brewery (Brooklyn)
- Sloop Brewery (Elizaville)
- Chatham Brewery (Chatham)
- Industrial Arts (Garnerville)
- Newburgh Brewing (Newburgh)
- Crossroads Brewing (Athens)
- Mill House Brewery (Poughkeepsie)
- Hyde Park Brewing Co. / Rip Van Winkle Brewing (Hyde Park & Catskill)
- Rip Van Winkle Brewing Company (Catskill)
- Indian Ladder Farmstead Brewery & Cidery (Altamont)
- Keegan Ales (Kingston)
- Peekskill Brewery (Peekskill)
- Angry Orchard (Walden)
- Scrumpy Ewe Cider (Charlotteville)
- Dutchess Hops (Lagrangeville)
- Hudson Valley Malt (Germantown)
- Fifth Hammer Brewing Co. (Long Island City)
Here’s the Brew U syllabus:
BEER 101: The Art & Science of Brewing (Open-house tours / Ongoing throughout event)
Location: CIA Brewery at The Egg
Seminar Times: Ongoing throughout Brew U event
Host: CIA Students
Beer and Cheese Pairing
Instructor: John Fischer, CIA Professor, author of “Cheese Identification, Classification, and Utilization” and restaurant beverage service veteran
History of Brewing in the Hudson Valley
Instructor: Craig Gravina, New York State Museum
Introduction to Farmhouse Ales
Instructor: Anne Becerra, Certified Cicerone
Barrel-Aged beers and blending
Instructor: Eric Brown, Barrel Manager — Brooklyn Brewing
General admission tickets may be purchased here for $85 ($25 for designated drivers). Tickets to Brew U include all beer and food during the event and access to all tours and educational seminars.
Guests will also receive a commemorative tasting glass.
The Hudson Valley’s own Roundabout Ramblers will also provide musical entertainment throughout the event.
Come eat, drink, and be educated.