The drive-in restaurant, where you gave your order to a carhop and ate in your in your car, is a phenomenon that has all but vanished. But for two nights in September, Resy is partnering with American Express to recapture this slice of Americana.
On Sept. 16 and 17, the duo is transforming Brooklyn’s Skyline Drive-In Movie Theater into a “super-drive-in restaurant” — one where the menu is more than just burgers and foot longs and where your “wheels” take the form of a chauffeured golf cart.
The stops to which you will be driven are pop-ups of 10 sit-down New York restaurants, each offering up its own specialty.
- Bonnie’s — Yao Yu (marinated grilled squid with olives, preserved lemon, and herbs)
- Crown Shy — Satsuma, Vanilla, and Meringue Ice Cream Sandwich;
- Dhamaka — Dilliwala Butter Chicken with jeera pulao;
- Frankies Spuntino — Roasted Cauliflower with golden raisins, torpedo shallots, muscat vinegar, and Frankies 457 organic extra virgin olive oil;
- Red Hook Tavern — Tavern Mini Burger;
- Shuka — Ayesha’s Falafel Sandwich wrapped in lafa;
- Sofreh — Saffron Shrimp over herb and tamarind sauce and saffron basmati rice;
- Sylvia’s — Crab Cake Bites;
- Taqueria Ramírez — Taco de Costilla (grilled short rib taco with avocado, queso fresco, parsley, red onion, and chipotle sauce);
- Union Square Cafe — Marbled Cheesecake with concord grape.
The one feature of the event that is not reactionary is the price: Tickets, which can be purchased here, are $110 per person.